Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grasping the Blade?



Hello again, dear Readers.

Most of the people who read this blog probably already know this, but I recieved an e-mail last night from a newbie. She inquired about a YouTube video I put up a while ago in which Brian Hunt and I engage in an impromptu bout at the Utah Rennaissance Festival. In said clip, I can be seen seizing Brian's longsword foil by the blade. Yes, it was possible, and yes, it was done historically.

Wouldn't it cut you, though?

Perhaps. But it's really a matter of getting a firm grip, and thus preventing the blade from sliding (and thus cutting one's hand, most likely seriously). Because I'm a maniac, as most of us involved in the modern revival of the RMA are, I've actually tried this with sharp blades. Swords weren't razor sharp. They didn't need to be. It's about neutralizing the opponent's weapon long enough to strike, or disarm (as the fencer in the Talhoffer plate above is about to attempt to do). If you're practiced, it can be used very successfully.

Just FYI.

-B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFmMqPw3vWU&NR=1

No comments: